Sunday, January 20, 2008

What a success!

Thank you all for coming Saturday. In all, including babies in slings and those in utero, we had 22 kids and their parents, aunts, grandmothers, cousins, and grandfathers! Thanks also to Paul Chapman of the Discovery Center and the great people at the Roanoke Times for letting everyone know about our meetings.

Here is what we accomplished:

Introductions and Mingling
People kept coming in...We had to get more tables and more chairs! My wife was home sick with a few of our little ones, but I was able to bring along my trooper middle child! Thanks P!
I am a school teacher for Roanoke County Schools, with my Masters of Reading. I am learning about the great outdoors as I go along.

Reading
Our favorite animal at the top of the mountain is one of the smallest. The chipmunk was the star is "How Chipmunk Got His Stripes" by James Bruchac
http://www.amazon.com/How-Chipmunk-Stripes-Picture-Puffins/dp/0142500216

Great Character Counts! moment, considering bragging and always being right.

Why did we start KIVA?
One thing I mentioned was as a teacher all things are derivative. I take what I have learned and put it all together into a lesson. The idea for KIVA did not come overnight.

Influences:
My wonderful wife Ashely, who keeps us all going. Her full time job seems to be taxi driver for the Wild Donahue's. She somehow seems to make it to her other job as Managing Broker of Wainwright & Company Realtors. She packs all the great picnics and kisses all the boo-boos. My biggest hero.

My three children...always up for the adventure. Thank you.

My good friend, Rick Williams, who got me off the couch and changed my life, tricking me into training for triathlons. Crazy man even manages our weekend running crew.

My many grandparents for getting me outside when I was a kid.

The following books must be read, if you want to understand why we created KIVA:

The Quikpick Adventure Society by Sam Riddleberger
http://sam.riddleburger.com/qwiklink.html

We really related to the kids of Crickenberg. This book sparked spirit of adventure in me, inspiring me to even suggest leading a group of kids on outdoor adventures. The story shows the true importance of the journey is not the treasure found under the "X Marks the Spot", it is the memories made along the way. This book will travel with us to all KIVA meetings. Our friend Jamie borrowed it. You can have it next, or better yet...buy your own.

A Walk In the Woods by Bill Bryson
On a recent hike, we met a wonderful man who hikes the same area almost everyday for the fun and the exercise. He recommended the book to us and we purchased it that day. Everyday Ashley and I shared stories from the book, laughing as we went along. NOT ALL FOR KIDS. Share the good stuff with them. Keep the better stuff for when they are older.
http://www.amazon.com/Walk-Woods-Rediscovering-Appalachian-Official/dp/0767902521

and these websites:

www.letterboxing.org Our favorite way to spend the day!
www.mmw.net Let's Go Everywhere!
www.rogerday.com DREAM BIG!

That's plenty enough for now. We look forward to seeing you all and more at our next meeting in February. We will have a guest speaker and lots of fun playing at Fishburn Park!

No comments: